Wednesday, April 18, 2018

New Project

A few weeks ago I saw this post on Instagram


This is Sweetwater's Rag Runner - pattern HERE - and knew I had to make one...actually, many more  than one, but as soon as I saw this, I started pulling fabric. First up will be a western one...of course!


These are so simple, yet that stitching and fringe adds such a fun detail!

I like having a runner across my washer and dryer to keep it from taking a beating. My entryway is a laundry room/mudroom/coat closet/storage room and I try to keep it at least somewhat presentable. With men walking in and out it often has spurs and guns and ammo and tools and hats and vaccine guns sitting on available surfaces. Thankfully Skeet hasn't taken to bringing in his treasures
and depositing them there as well! His treasures are pretty nasty, but far be it for me to judge our beloved sidekick's choice of precious discoveries.

So, this rag runner will be perfect, although mine will be much longer. The original is 10" x 30" and I'm making mine 16" x 75".

It took a long time to cut strips off of each fabric I selected from my stash, but I chose 25 fabrics and cut three strips from each, stitched them up, added batting, and a backing from my stash and basted it:

                                         

And the hand stitching has begun:

                                         
With 75 strips, it's going to take a while, but it's the perfect project to work on when I get a few minutes in the evening.

I also know I'll want one in 30's prints, and patriotic fabrics, and a fall and Christmas one. And it all starts with a dive into my stash. I love that part!

6 comments:

Pauline said...

What a great idea! I need to make one for a cedar chest in the bedroom we use as a stool to put our boots on. I have a box of 2½ inch strips just waiting for a project like this! What is that neat string used for the fringe?

Anonymous said...

Love this..........and the story. think I will try to make one too. Thanks for sharing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Way to jump in with both feet ;-) they are very cute!

Janet O. said...

What a great look. But at my house all the finishing stitching would probably never get done.

Tired Teacher said...

I love this idea!

Sherrill said...

How do you do the strings on the ends? I'm tempted to get the pattern but the string situation is holding me back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...