Friday, June 22, 2018

Escaping the Heat

We had a fun weekend last week. Friends invited us to a Fish Fry on Saturday and we enjoyed a good visit and the best fish we'd ever had. I didn't take a single picture, but rest assured, the fun and friends and fish were all fabulous.

Saturday found us back on the road. We met my in-laws in a mountain town for a Father's Day lunch. No photos there either because it's an in-law law. :) Then DH and I changed into t-shirts and hiking boots, took the road less traveled and spent the rest of the day hiking. And no, I don't wear jewelry when I'm hiking. I just forgot to take it off when I changed after having dinner with my in-laws. :)


DH said we'd just make a small circle and stretch our legs, but you have to remember, I'm married to a mountain goat.


  We stretched our legs for 6 miles


 and climbed 900 ft. in elevation.


The mountains are DRY. No campfires allowed. Folks in town can't even grill burgers on their grill. $500 fine. A few years ago this area was ravaged by a wildfire that licked the edges of the town and destroyed a lot of land and homes.

                                               

There's a popular fishing lake, but it's been drained and is in the process of being cleaned because the ash from the fire killed all the fish and other aquatic life and they needed to keep the contaminated water from filtering downstream:


Still, we enjoyed the afternoon in the dappled sunshine

                             

In such a pretty spot:

                             

I spent  a lot of time looking at the ground because I can be a klutz and I didn't want to DH to have to drag me back down the mountain:

                               

Even in a drought, things were a-buzz and a-bloom:

                               

The streams were barely running at a trickle. We didn't have much of a winter and no snow. That hit this little town, that is known for and relies on it's tourism - skiing in the winter and fishing in the summer, hard.

                                

And even though yesterday was the first official day of summer, it's been here since May. Here's our forecast for the coming week:


So it was nice to escape to the mountains for a day where we soaked up the 66° and sunshine:

                                  

And although I love the crisp blue skies of this desert country, I am ready for the sun to begin setting just a tad earlier these days. Around here, our mornings start early in order to beat the heat and I'm just plumb wore out when it doesn't get dark until almost 9 p.m.

Side note for Sandy who asked me a question in a previous post. I am unable to reply to your comment as there is no email associated with your account. If you'll shoot me an email, I'll get back to you today. :)

7 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Beautiful scenery in that area. I bet the 66° was very pleasant for hiking.

Wishing you a good week and a nice shady spot to relax with an iced drink.

Janet O. said...

Oh, wow--with those temps, I'd head for the hills, too. Maybe permanently! :)
Six miles--right, just a stretch of the legs. He must have watched "The Quiet Man" movie with John Wayne. If you have seen it, you will get the reference.

Lisa said...

I was hoping you would get some of the moisture they were talking about from BUD. It finally started raining here; it is beautiful right now with all the green grass. Wish there was some way to share it! I picked the first round of Beets and have pickles going now. Praying for you to get rain and relief from the heat. ~Lisa

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

That little jaunt had to be quiet and peaceful for you two. Lovely scenery and 66 degrees is a better walking temp than 85!! Glad you had a good time!!!

Nancy said...

Yum to the fish, ugh to the heat, and good for you for finishing 6 miles. I don't believe I could have done it, even ten or 15 years ago. I always joke that I have two left feet, and when I had crutches they were both left crutches, and when I needed a walker, it was a left walker. I can trip over a hair on the floor! I hope you guys have air conditioning?

Dorian said...

Glad you got away for a day Karin, looks like you had a great walk, beautiful country.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I would want to escape that heat too! What a pretty place you went for just a little stretch of the legs - ha ha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...