Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Rain and a Recipe

Day 1 is in the books and it was worthy of celebrating because it was wet! On Monday morning we awoke to this:


I really wanted to spend the day checking rain gauges with DH, but I had to go to work. However, my sidekick and I made a short circle before it was time to leave:


There was not a drop in this dirt tank on Sunday:



We had 1.1" here at the house and DH poured out 1.5" south of the house. We haven't been able to get to other spots as branding is taking precedence:


But we get to retire the feed wagon for the summer and that's HUGE.


Breakfast was at 4 so I stumbled out of bed at 2:30. Biscuits and sausage, gravy, eggs, and fruit for breakfast. Nothing new or share-worthy, but devoured nonetheless.

I made Taco Lasagna, taquitos, salad, chile relleno casserole, and corn for dinner with Strawberry Shortcake Dessert for dessert.

Thought I'd share my Taco Lasagna recipe today. It's another one I've been making for years. It comes from my Taste of Home magazine files. I'm not a food photographer, but I'm sharing anyway because everyone really likes this.


Taco Lasagna

2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning (I make my own and use 2 Tbsp)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel
1 can refried beans
6 large flour tortillas
5 C shredded cheese

*Brown ground beef with onions. The original recipe calls for 1# of ground beef, but we have our ground beef processed in 2# packages and I rarely make anything with just 1# of ground beef. Season with pepper and taco seasoning. Add Rotel and black beans. Spread 1/2 of the refried beans on 2 of the tortillas and place in bottom of 9 x 13" baking pan.
Layer 1/2 of the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle with 2 cups of the cheese. Repeat layers. Add the last 2 tortillas and sprinkle with additional cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream.


Note:
Blogger's still not sending ya'lls comments to my email. I tried commenting on my own post and clicking "send all comments to email" but that didn't work. So, I have been copying your comments when they show up and pasting them to a new email and replying that way. If I have your email in my contacts, I can do that so I hope ya'll are getting my replies. Your comments always make my day!

12 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Gotta love a nice rain storm when the moisture is needed - prayers answered.

Thanks for the recipe: it sounds and looks delish.

Sally Langston Warren said...

I always learn something from your blog posts.....usually farm-related! The recipe looks good! We will try it!

Melody A. said...

I think you are an amazing woman, such steadfastness of taking care of so many so they are able to do their work more efficiently by being served good food and appreciation of their efforts. The lasagna looks delicious! It is wonderful your area received a lot of rain. Take care from Iowa

Theona said...

Yum! I make this too, with a few differences. I add a can of cream of mushroom soup and don't use refried beans, but think I will try that next time. I have all the ingredients in the house and I'm hungry so it sounds like it will be on the menu soon. :)

Glad you got so much rain! That is such a blessing in so many ways.

Lisa J Spencer said...

Looks yummy! I am going to try that recipe. Glad you got rain. We need some up here, the rains have been going around us. ~ Lisa S

Anonymous said...

I made your Taco Lasagna recipe last night. The whole family loved it. I enjoy your blog. Louise

Bridget said...

you don't have to reply :) but I wanted to let you know I made the biscuit recipe from here and they were fantastic. It made enough to be worth the messy hands (which is a big reason I pass on biscuits for other breads). THANK YOU!

Ranch Wife said...

Lisa - here's hoping ya'll get a good soaking rain soon. Seems hardly a day goes by that we're not praying for rain.

Louise - I'm so glad ya'll liked it! I don't make fancy food, but there's always plenty of it.

Bridget - LOL...I should have warned folks about the messy hands. And yes, I too prefer making rolls and other bread to making biscuits, but it's hard to beat a good biscuit with gravy for breakfast. :) I'm glad you made them anyway...and that ya'll enjoyed them!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for rain!!!! And wow - what a change it makes!! Your recipe looks yummy - that may be dinner tonite!

Anonymous said...

I’m only cooking for two so would I use half of everything else if I just use one pound of hamburger?
Thank you❣️
Love reading about your amazing life🤗

I read all your posts so you can just answer there.

Ranch Wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ranch Wife said...

Anonymous...you are very kind - thank you! The original recipe called for 1 pound of ground beef so I think you could just keep everything else the same, but I probably increased the cheese so you might cut back on that. I just use 2 pounds of meat because that's how we have our beef processed and I always 'beef things up' :) for the crew.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...