Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Honey Man Quilt

A while back I shared that our girl was telling me about an elderly gentleman that sells honey on a roadside stand 7 days a week and I just felt the need to make him a quilt. That very day, a bundle of bee fabric was showcased as the deal of the day at Missouri Star. Alas, it had metallics in it and I wasn't so sure about that, but I figured it was a sign that I DID need to make this gentleman a quilt. So when I found a bundle of honey/bee inspired fat quarters on Etsy, I ordered it. I added this burlap-honey-colored fabric


from my stash and asked our girl to choose from 2 patterns. This is the one she chose:


It's called Slice of Life and it's a Missouri Star pattern. I subscribe to their Block magazine and it's in one of their issues.



I cut out the fabric on a Monday morning before work. The pattern calls for a layer cake, but I edited the pattern to make the best use out of my fat quarters and began making the blocks. Instead of making the giant 9-patches with 10" squares, I used 8" squares and the sashing called for 2 1/2" strips, but I down-sized mine to 2". This is a fast and easy pattern and as a bonus, there are no seams to match:


I put the top together on Tuesday, as my friend, C and I, had made plans for a road trip to Texas and I was hoping to find a backing. I hit paydirt in the first shop with this fabric from the clearance shelf.
There wasn't quite enough so I added a strip of the sashing fabric down the middle to add the needed length


and I bound it with more of the sashing fabric

                          

The finished quilt is 50"x 62"


 Jackie quilted a pantograph that has flowers and bees on it...so perfect


And she loved this quilt and mentioned a sweet couple that sells honey and produce locally. The wife is a quilter and makes quilts for charity. I took my scraps to Jackie and her daughter made this quilt for the couple:



Isn't that great?! Jackie and Sandy are so clever and generous.

And we were back in the mountains this weekend so I took advantage of  my in-laws' deck to show off this quilt:

                                                   

I hope the Honey Man likes it.

                           

Our girl said he is quite the Casanova. LOL

                                           


18 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

The quilt is beautiful--he will love it!

Dorian said...

Great quilt Karin, I love the colors. I'm sure the Honey man will love it. So glad you are visiting the mtns again :)

Anonymous said...

You are just THE BEST. Be sure to tell us the rest of the story when you get it delivered. Love the bee fabric.

Tired Teacher said...

He will love the quilt and be touched that you and your daughter thought enough of him to make this special gift. Fantastic to get another "honey"'quilt made with the scraps.

vkh6210 said...

Love the quilts!!! We have a bee man. He has taught us alot about bees and harvesting our own honey. Can't beat that fresh from the hive taste. I need to make our bee man a quilt.

Donna said...

The quilt is wonderful! The Bee Man is going to be so surprised and happy that you and your daughter thought so much of him to make him a quilt!!! Bless your big hearts!!!!

sandi s said...

I love the quilt and your reason for making it! The Honey Man is going to love it too. Hugs,

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Love the honey quilt!! How kind to make the honey man a quilt. We are getting Florida Orange Blossom honey next week when out friends come up from Florida. Pretty sure there won't be a quilt with it!!

Libby said...

How sweet ...

Joyful Joy said...

Quite certain he will be blown away!!
I am, just with the thought of this!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so awesome!! a beautiful quilt and a second quilt with the scraps!!

Charlotte Reed said...

Thank you for your blog. I always feel inspired when I read it.

Janet O. said...

What a generous thing for you to do.
It is a great looking quilt. Love this post.
The second quilt is very fun, too!

Sherrill said...

You are SO SWEET!! Glad you got the sign you needed to kickstart your generous gift! And another gift generated from your gift. Glad you were able to get away--always wonderful.

Violet said...

May I ask...how many fat quarters did you use in this?

Ranch Wife said...

Violet - I'm sorry -you are showing up as a non-reply blogger so this is the only way I have of replying to your question. I used 11 fat quarters but that's only because that's what came in the bundle. Actually, I think it came with 10 and I added one. The original pattern calls for a layer cake. Next time I make it, I'll just pull a group of fabrics to use. I think you could use as many as you wish.

Violet said...

I'm sorry...I am back to bother you about this bee quilt. I don't know how to make it so that I am a "non-reply" blogger. I have been looking for weeks for a comparable fabric to the one you used in the sashing...with no luck. I have found a couple of burlap weave looking fabrics but not in that brown/tan/gold color you show. Do you possibly remember the name or color of that brown sashing? Thank you again.

Ranch Wife said...

Violet...no need to apologize! I'm going to comment here, in hopes that you'll see my reply. I still have a little bit of that fabric. The selvage says it is "Remington" for Quilting Treasures. I've had it for a few years, but I remember buying it at the local quilt shop. I would be happy to pop in there next time I'm in town and see if they still have any. Just send me an email at desertrancher@gmail.com and let me know how much you would like and I'll see what they might have.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...