Saturday, June 2, 2018

Headed Back into the Kitchen

We're working the Corrientes  this coming week so I'm cooking for the crew again. I will be spending the weekend making my menu, compiling my list...with Skeet's help of course


Once I get his final approval

                                 

I'll be hitting the grocery store. Skeet and I have been walking in the cool of the morning. I walk about 4 miles and Skeet runs about 10.


We had 18 days in May that registered over 100 degrees and on June 1st we hit 114. I snapped a photo before noon when it was a mere 112:


 You'll just have to take my word for the 114. Were supposed to have a 2 day reprieve with a cool 97 on Saturday and a downright chilly 88 on Sunday before we crank things back up to sweltering. It's just too cotton-pickin' hot to eat when it gets that hot so I'm having trouble filling in my menu. Desserts are easy. I've got a good number of cool desserts and I am even tempted to just serve watermelon one day. When it gets this hot, that's the only thing I crave.


I am dreading spending all week in a hot kitchen with the stove and oven working overtime. I might just fix burgers on the grill one day. I'll skip the fries and make potato salad and corn on the cob and queso and chips.  I'll fix brisket one day and cook that overnight in my roaster. I've really just got 4...possibly 5 days.

I haven't been spending any time behind my sewing machine. It's just too stinking hot to turn on the iron, so I've been cleaning, sorting , and planning future projects.


Cleaning out the chicken coop...at 6 a.m.


And playing with the 6 new kittens that were born in a mineral tub in the tack room a few weeks ago:

                                         

It's been a few years since we've had a litter of kittens and I had forgotten how funny they are
                           

That's about all the energy I can muster when it gets this hot. I'm going to need my reserves for the week ahead.

11 comments:

Chantal said...

I can not even imagine how hot 114F degree must be like. Around here, we almost die when it gets 95F. I guess we are too used to the minus 25 to tolerate such heat. I wouldn't mine the kittens though. They're so cute! I dreamed a few nights back that I adopted a dark tabby and an orange tabby so, can you send me my cats, please? lol. :^D

Kevin the Quilter said...

I worked up an appetite just reading this post! I can only imagine how much your family and workers appreciate your culinary skills! It is hot in Missouri too.......actually it feels more of a typical May/June than we have had the past few years. Tell me, are those fires in NM near you??? I pray for your safety! And those kittens........TOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!

Judy said...

Oh how horrible to have to cook in such hot weather! Yes, use the barbecue, cook hamburgers, chicken, maybe some skirt steak, rib eyes, and there is a large meat you barbecue and you slice off pieces. Make potatoe salad, macaroni salad, toss salad. Then add things to the tossed salad like eggs, ham, or turkey, tomatoes and corn and green beans. You can make a large pot of chili with corn bread. But French bread, several loaves. I have a receipe for you. It’s called hay stacks. Start your plate with Fritos or corn chips, then add some white cooked rice, then some cooked beans, then lettuce, tomato, ranch dressing, olvies. Oh, cheese on the beans, and hamburger if you wish! That plate will stack up higher and higher!!
Good luck dear. I will be praying for you!

Melody A. said...

Wow, tooo HOT to have to do all that, I would do the same thinking up food that would be filling but some of it cold or cook outside! Take care and Happy sewing when you can from Iowa

Tired Teacher said...

With those temperatures, I'd be worthless. My body simply does not function in temperatures over 90°

Do you use crockpots to avoid heating up the house with the oven or do you generally have too many mouths to feed for a crock pots to handle?

If I could, I'd send some cooler temperatures your way.

Shelly said...

We have a litter of kittens in an empty lick tub in our feed room, too! Momma was smart to have them in there where they can't get away from her for awhile! I feel sorry for you with that heat -- it got hot here very early, and has been way hotter than usual for this time of year, and altho we've come close, we haven't topped 100 yet. I'm with you -- it makes days in the 80s seem cool!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Love dark striped tabbies!! Would love to have another cat after 14 y/o Jessie James crossed the rainbow bridge a couple of years ago, but we are pretty sure our Mountain Cur would eat it, thinking it was a squirrel! That's rough, having to cook in that kind of heat!! Always interested in your menus for new ideas. Don't envy you the shopping trip either. On the bright side, looks like you have good help making out your list.

Dorian said...

And here I was complaining of the 86 we got to yest. My oh my, I don't know how you can take it! The older I get, the harder the heat is. Glad you have some fun kitties to help you take your mind off of the heat for a few minutes :) Use your crockpot as much as you can.

Anonymous said...

That future projects picture looks interesting. Love the kitties too.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Whew! Our A/C is broken and it has been miserable in the high 80's--not sure I could function with temps above 100! Watermelon sounds like a great dessert and will be enjoyed by all. I walked two miles yesterday and was a hot mess--Skeet might make me up my pace.

Sherrill said...

It's been pretty hot here but not that bad! YIKES! Have you ever made a batch of corn on the cob in an ice chest? Our Sunday School's done that a couple of times when we served at Ronald McDonald. Yep, think I'd be smoking a brisket and grilling rather than being in a hot kitchen. My niece's boys snagged 3 kittens from their uncle's backyard shed and took them home. They're big enough to go to new homes and 2 have gone. Skeet looks like a HUGE help! HA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...