Sunday, September 16, 2018

Under the Paint Brush: Hondo River Barn Quilt Trail

There hasn't been much going on under the needle lately, but there has been an awful lot happening under the paint brush and it's quilt related.


Our Quilt Squad group (we're a county extension club) has taken on a challenging project these past 5 months or so. We have taken on a Quilt Barn Trail and we're nearing it's completion. It's going to be so nice, but Lord have mercy! I don't think anyone realized how much work was involved. In fact, when we were delivering the quilt blocks the other day, one of our band said, "It's a good thing we didn't think this through or we probably never would have taken it on!" Another common phrase that has often been heard is, "Who's idea WAS this?!" And if I ever have to choose another paint swatch sample, it'll be too soon. Just kidding, but good gravy...my head was spinning every time we walked out of the paint store.

There was the research. The purchasing of lumber and paint.  The selection of the name and logo.The building of the blocks. The drawing of each design. The priming of the blocks.  The endless painting of the blocks.


And the miles of taping with each color change.


The sealing of the blocks. The selling of the blocks. The photos of the blocks.The designing of the flyer - beautifully done by LaDonna and her sister, Connie, painted this block with our Barn Quilt Trail name. I'm telling you, these are a talented bunch of gals:


The delivering of the blocks:


It was a group effort:

                            

 Everyone pitched in where and when they were able. It really was a lot of work, but these ladies are truly extraordinary and it's always a hoot to spend time with them. We painted in the Ice Cream Parlor at the fair grounds. We happened to be there during the county fair and our extension agent mentioned that the Governor was visiting so we grabbed her (we were actually more polite than that!) and asked whether she minded contributing to our project:


Thank you so much, Governor Martinez! And soon, blocks began to appear around town:


There are 11 blocks at the Fair Grounds and 20 more were purchased by businesses around town. I'm not a Facebook user but the Barn Quilt Trail is there (Click on link):




We'll be posting photos as the blocks go up, but everyone's hard work is about to pay off! Such a fun group of ladies! I'm grateful to be a part of their tribe.Well done girls!

8 comments:

I'm just saying: said...

That's awesome!~ I've wanted a quilt block for my property, but I don't have a barn. Could I put it on the chicken coop?! LOL
I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't on FB.

Donna said...

Those look amazing! I checked out the Facebook photos too! Wow! Hope you made lots of money! I can’t even imagine all the hard work that went into making them!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

An impressive undertaking!!! Love all the blocks!

Shelly said...

Wow! What an undertaking! I love that quote about thinking it through -- I'm sure lots of projects have gotten done that way!

Tired Teacher said...

Great job! I love the small ones I have for my house. Your guild might think of selling smaller blocks for homes.

Nancy said...

Your blocks are totally impressive, Karin! Who wouldn't want one on the side of their building?! Did you do this for a fundraiser?

Anonymous said...

Those blocks are so amazing. I wish I had a smaller one for my house! Lots of work and lots of beauty. I live in Kentucky and there are many blocks on barns and houses as you travel the roads here/there. And I saw a library book of the same and just love the idea. This was hard/dedicated work and BEAUTIFUL. Thanks to all for all the hard work and letting blog readers see it.

Janet O. said...

That sounds like a huge undertaking, but how proud you can be of your efforts. You did a great job--they look wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...