Monday, March 18, 2019

Cathy's Quilt

Yesterday I put the finishing stitches onto this scrap quilt:


This is the quilt I made for the wife at North Camp that is battling cancer:


This is the second quilt I made like this - the first being an experiment. When she saw it on one of my quilt ladders, she fell in love with it so I began sorting through my scraps:


As I began making blocks, I asked her if she had any shirts from her Daddy and son - both whom she lost - and I incorporated the pieces she shared with me in the blocks as I stitched in prayers:

                                                      

It's hard for her to keep warm so I bought this thick, warm fleece to use as the backing and had Jackie quilt a quick stipple across it:

                                 

I bound it with this rustic print that I thought coordinated well with both the background and the scraps:

                                                   

I took the top to Jackie on Monday and she had it ready for me to pick up the following Monday. I am a slow binder, and I really save any binding or hand stitching for the evenings, but I worked on this one during the last few days and finished it as quickly as possible:



After a run through the washer and dryer, it is 57 x 77

                                            

17 comments:

Donna said...

Bless your heart; another quilt for someone in need! It looks wonderful! She will definitely keep warm with that backing! I hate to hand sew binding but I think it looks better than my machine binding!

Dorian said...

Very nice Karin. I'm sure she is going to love it.

Deanna said...

WOW! I love it. Such a beautiful gift. The floating diamonds are wonderful. Now I want to go make one.

Kathy C said...

Beautiful!

Tired Teacher said...

She'll appreciate every prayer and the love you stitched into this quilt.

I'm just saying: said...

That's so lovely! We stitch and pray during homemade items as well; quilting, crocheting...
Great job.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Your heart pours forth sweetness and kindness. I'm sure your thoughtfulness will warm camp wife's heart. I'm a hand binder also. Love sitting in the evening with the husband and stitching on binding. I'm not a fan of machine finishing the binding. Just doesn't give a quilt that "made with love" feeling. That is MY opinion and I know some will disagree.

Unknown said...

How beautiful ! and a wonderful use for old shirts, skirts, etc. You know she will be thinking of them every time one of those blocks catch her eye.

sandi s said...

It’s beautiful! I love it. Hugs,

Janet O. said...

What a lovely gesture. That is great that you were able to incorporate parts of shirts from her loved ones. Makes it so special. You are so thoughtful, Karin!

Jennie in GA said...

How sweet of you to make this special quilt. And how much more meaningful it will be to have her son and father remembered within it. You are an amazing friend.

tk said...

Your generosity and kindness are such a blessing to so many. Consider yourself hugged.

Dar in Mo said...

Such a beautiful gift of love from your heart. I too love to do the binding by hand. It is very relaxing and a great way to see if there are extra threads hanging around that you missed before. Why is it that it seems they grow out of the inside of the quilt after you are sure you picked off every last one of them!

Meredith said...

Beautiful quilt! She will treasure it-and your friendship.

Rebecca in AK said...

Such a warm cuddly quilt! This will definitely keep her cozy. So very kind on your part to make this for her. And extra special that you were able to use some shirts from her Dad and her son. Really nice that you knew what she liked, sometimes it is hard to know what quilt pattern to make for someone.

Shelly said...

You are so amazing, generous, thoughtful, and kind. God bless you.

Nancy said...

I don't know what your original quilt that your friend saw on your ladder looked like but if it's similar to this, I can see why she fell in love with it, Karin. This is a spectacular quilt!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...