Monday, May 18, 2020

After the Cooking is Done

After the crew pulled out on Saturday, I set to putting everything back in order. I sweep every day, but my floor needed a good washing/steaming and I felt better after the stove had been scrubbed. That allowed me to kick back a little on Sunday. DH still saddled up at 7:30 and headed north to look for a sick calf he'd spotted when they were moving some cattle yesterday:


Sometimes I fuss to ya'll about how tired I am after a cooking marathon, and I AM tired, but I enjoy dishing up good food for the crew. I do it for DH because although they come to work cattle, it's nice for him when they are fed well. Yesterday he told me that a couple of the boys from Arizona just bragged on the meals all week when they were working and said that was the best food they'd ever eaten in their entire lives. 😂 That kind of made me cry and is the absolutely sweetest compliment I've ever had. Years ago, one of the boys (He's now a brand inspector and we recently heard he's moving back to this area so it'll be nice to catch up with him again) said he popped the button off of his Wranglers and he told our girl it was her Mama's fault. 😂  It makes those 2:30 wake up calls worth it.

I did cook breakfast but Sunday was leftover-recuperation day. Leftover cherry pie? Yes please!


I did manage to get into my sewing room for a little while and make a binding. I don't watch much television but I treated myself to a little Aurora Teagarden (a guilty pleasure) while I wrote this post, watched church services, watered the yard and garden, oiled the dining room table and tended to laundry. There is something so soothing about sleeping under sheets and a quilt that have been dried on the clothesline by our New Mexico sun:


I love this quilt that graces our king-sized bed these days:


Sun-dried bedding brings me joy. I think it has sleep inducing qualities...I'm ready to sleep like a baby. I closed out the day by watering the garden and celebrating a sign of good things to come:


I think everyone's ready for that!

9 comments:

Dorian said...

It's always so nice when a good job is rewarded with such wonderful praise. It does indeed, make those early mornings worth while :) Love your star quilt! Have a great day.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it!! He popped his button!! I bet they have some good times there - and of course. I always think I work harder with the promise of good food.... so there is that!! Enjoy a day ( or week) of rest!! You deserve it!

Chantal said...

Put your feet up and enjoy a little rest. You earned it. ;^)

Sherrill said...

I believe it when I hear that they've eaten the best food ever!! I know you put 125% into your meals as evidenced by your menus and planning. I do love the smell of anything dried on a line which I no longer have (haven't had in quite some time). Just curious why you oil your table? HA

momto1 said...

Every time you write about your cooking, I wish I were there to enjoy it. I know you're a wonderful cook. It definitely is nice when someone complements you, isn't it? You should write a recipe book!

Janina said...

That pie looks incredible, The crust alone is beautiful

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Good food is always appreciated! If I ate at your table, I would probably be unbuttoning my jeans too. There is nothing like sleeping under sheets and bed covers which have beeb dried by the sun.

Janet O. said...

I am glad someone has the sense to compliment your wonderful cooking! :)
The Hallmark mysteries are kind of fun. I don't have the channel, but my SIL puts them on a disk so I can watch them. Very kind of her, and a nice escape while doing some stitching.
Oh, tart cherry pie is one of my favorites!My daughter's neighbor used to let me pick from their tart cherry tree whenever they were ripe--they didn't use them. But they moved and the new owners haven't offered. LOL
That is a wonderful, cozy looking quilt. Sun dried bedding is great--unless your husband has allergies and the wind is kicking up the pollen everywhere. :( You don't want that in your bedding. Oh, well.

Donna said...

Being the best cook is high praise!!! You have a reputation now that you will have to uphold!!! I am sure hubby enjoyed hearing this just as much as you did! All the hay and silage crews In our farming community thought my best friend’s mom was the best cook ever! Another girl in our class, her mom was the worst cook! She would feed them salads and I guess after looking at silage all day, you did not want salad! I saw that girl a few years ago and the first thing I told my hubby was that her mom was the worst cook! I love your quilt and yes there’s no fabric softener that makes linens smell better than fresh air!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...