Monday, May 4, 2020

The Great Fish Relocation

I really never know what the day will hold around here. On Tuesday I cooked breakfast, tended to morning chores, took out ground beef for dinner, followed DH to town so he could drop his rig off at Mark's (our mechanic and super nice guy), drove back home, turned towards the house to start dinner when DH asked for help cleaning out a water trough.


A few years ago I brought home some tiny goldfish - we put 2 in each trough to help keep it clean. We still have to clean them out, but definitely not as often as before we added the fish. DH added the hose and started draining the tank and saw a lot of tiny fish.


Well the water was running through the horse pens and my job was to pick up all the baby fish being washed along the way. I wanted to take all kind of pictures, but I was too busy stooping to scoop up slippery fishies and trying to keep them from wriggling out of my hands. We ended up with 2 buckets and about 60 fish


Then we proceeded to 7 water troughs fairly close to the house to distribute fish:


We REALLY need to clean some of these troughs out too, but one thing at a time.


We'll carry the bucket of fish around for a couple of days and add a few to each trough as we make mineral runs and check things. In the meantime, these two are enjoying their clean trough


It just reminded me of another fish relocation story I wanted to share if you would humor me as I take a walk down memory lane. When we lived in Texas, we lived in the Davis Mountains, on a ranch called Timber Mountain. We never took vacations. Heck, we had lots of picnics


and went exploring:


and fished


and camped


and swam


and hunted


 and were horseback


...all without ever leaving the ranch. And we fished a lot:


The dirt tanks and stream up Madera Canyon were filled with fish:


But when we hit a looong, multi-year dry spell and fell into a serious drought, almost all the dirt tanks dried up. So one day we set out on a rescue mission.


The bottoms of those dirt tanks get BOGGY and on order to reach the fish, DH set out pallets and everyone tottered out


to catch


what they could


, set them in empty mineral tubs and relocate them to the 2 dirt tanks that still had water. I wish I had more photos


but I treasure the ones I DO have


as well as the memories.


These photos were taken before digital cameras so the quality isn't the best as I just took pictures of the pictures.


I was a camera bug even 20 years ago


and I'm so glad:


Oh, my goodness, that was a fun day!


Surely, they aren't scarred from never having visited Disneyland:


And I hope our chiddlers' recall their childhood as fondly as I do.


17 comments:

Dorian said...

OH Karin, such wonderful pictures and memories :) Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

Sally Langston Warren said...

My beloved father always said “do things that make for good memories.” You did and you are! Your pictures are priceless!

Pam Martin said...

wonderful childhood. I enjoy reading about your farm life. Different than small farm life in the mid-west growing up. I loved growing up on a farm and raising my kids in the country. I enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Priceless photos and memories!

Judy said...

Wonderful pictures. You have some fun times! I pray you are safe and haven’t had to reduce stock. The plight of ranchers in Texas is terrible. They are having to kill stock, throw out milk by truckloads due to places not being open. Please pray that things open up and people go back to work. I understand they are bring in foreign meat. I am sorry for our country and how we are being treated worse than the cattle on a thousand hills.

Anonymous said...

Warning: May need Kleenex😉

Nursejoan said...

The BEST memories. Your kiddos will tell their kiddos about those times!

Annie said...

Karin, I love reading of your lives, especially when it feels as if the focus of the entire world is on Covid19! You remind us that there is so much of life to be celebrated. Thank you for the breath of fresh desert air! Annie

Marie said...

Think this kind of life is a lot better than Disney any day.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Sweet, sweet memories--I bet kids at Disney world glady exchange their tickets for the kind of vacations your family took.

Sherrill said...

You know those kids had some of the best childhoods around. I remember spneind so much time outside as a kid, catching crawdads in the creek and climbing trees, etc. Too many kids do have childhood memories like that and it's sad. You guys have really lived a full life!!

linda said...

What fun! It's so nice of you to share. The whole blog made me smile. Thank you!

Chantal said...

I'm so happy you shared these wonderful moments with us. It brought a smile to my face and Gosh do I need that on this harsh Monday. Thank you. ♥ ;^)

Donna said...

Thanks for sharing your family memories!!! Great pictures! Too bad more kids don’t have the chance to grow up fishing, camping and horse back riding! What a wonderful childhood your kids had and I am sure they would agree! I never heard of putting fish in the water tanks to keep them cleaner but makes good sense!

Twyla said...

Thanks for sharing as always. Brought back good memories of growing up in the country.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Precious memories, Karin!! What you did with your family was so much better than dragging around Disney World.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - your memories are SO SO Cool!! I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...