Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Chocolate Tres Leches Cake

This is a pubic service announcement. Stop what you're doing and make this cake. I don't know how I made it this far without this cake in my life. I made this for the crew last Friday and they LOVED it and now you can love it too! You're welcome. 😄


Tres Leches is a popular cake here in New Mexico. It translates to 'three milks' and is a moist cake that incorporates 3 different types of milk. I recently ran across this chocolate version on Pinterest and when I made it the angels sang.


My boys are such good sports and excellent guinea pigs. I always tell them they need to be completely honest about the food I serve up. If they don't care for it, yet tell me they love it, they will get it again. So I am counting on them to keep me dishing up food they love.

I love to bake, but rarely do so these days as DH and I are trying to make healthier choices in our...ummm...wiser years. 😄 DH grew up with dessert. My MIL ALWAYS had dessert...every day, she still does, and for 30 years, I did too. And now when I cook for the crew, it all tastes especially extravagant. Cooking for them allows me to indulge my love for baking.

Most folks make the original Tres Leches cake the night before in order for everything to soak in completely. I made this at 4 a.m and served it at 1 p.m. and it was perfect. I think it would tend to get pretty soggy after a day or two, but I wouldn't know. There was just a sliver leftover and I had that for breakfast! 😋

Chocolate Tres Leches Cake

Cake:
1 3/4 C flour
1 3/4 C sugar
3/4 C unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 C buttermilk
1/2 C canola oil (I used vegetable oil because that's what I had)
2 large eggs - at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 C freshly brewed, strong, hot coffee

Milk Glaze
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 C 1/2 n 1/2
3/4 C evaporated milk
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa

Whipped Cream Topping
1 C powdered sugar
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
3 C very cold heavy cream (whipping cream)

*Preheat oven to 350*. Spray 9" x 13" pan with baking spray. In a bowl put flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt - mix well. In a 2nd bowl (you can use a stand mixer for this, but I don't have one and I just used a handheld mixer), mix the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla well. Slowly add in the dry mix with mixer on low. Remember: slow and low or you will find yourself in a cocoa infused cloud(ask me how I know). Once that is well mixed, add the coffee - continue mixing until well combined. The batter will be very thin. Pour batter into baking pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until center of cake springs back when you touch it. While the cake is still warm, poke holes all over with a fork.

Make the glaze:
Whisk sweetened condensed milk, half-n-half, evaporated milk, and 3 Tbsp cocoa together in a bowl. It may take a little while to incorporate the cocoa. Slowly pour the glaze evenly over the warm cake. Allow cake to cool completely. I just stuck it in the fridge.

Make the Whipped Cream Topping:
Stick a bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes. You want the bowl to be cold to facilitate the whipping properties of your heavy cream. LOL. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa together in a small bowl. Beat the cold heavy cream in the cold bowl for 1 minute. Add 1/2 of the sugar/cocoa mixture. Beat until it is completely mixed in, then add the remaining sugar/cocoa mixture. Continue to beat until soft-stiff peaks form. Spread on cooled cake. I used a microplane to grate a few chocolate chips across the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve...if you sneak a bite before that, I promise not to tell.


.

6 comments:

Donna said...

That cakes look delicious!!! Are you trying to fatten up your blog readers??? I used to bake a lot too but now not so much. I did print off the recipe though! Thank you!

Lindah said...

This sounds heavenly. I cracked up when you referred to your "wiser years." Is that what they are? Well, since we are probably "wise" enough to be your parents; and there are only 2 of us with no family nearby; and we are living a cloistered covid life at present, I'm wondering about cutting the recipe in half. Do you see a reason that would not work? If not, I'm willing to chance it? I think we both are needing some chocolate to break us out of these doldrums. We've been trying to be good because both of us must watch our sugar and cholesterol count, but after so long of that, once must have a chocolate splurge! Or go nuts. :-)

Ruth said...

This sounds delicious, although I am planning to try a chocolate angel food cake next time I bake from scratch, from joscountryjunction. I can't use milk, and never 3 milks, because my husband is lactose intolerant. So I admire Tres Leches cakes from a distance.
This weekend I tried out your falsely named "Soft and Fluffy one hour Rolls". Turns out they take 90 minutes to make, but it was ok, my husband didn't mind waiting for them. He ate six. You also don't have an oven temp on that recipe. So I used 350 degrees, as if I was making bread. They turned out GREAT!!
On Monday I made your recipe all over again, noting that the 5min yeast proof, 20min 1st raising and the 20-30min second raising plus the 15min baking add up to 65 minutes without even actually mixing the dough together. On this second time through though, I formed the dough into two loaves. I loved it as a loaf, too! It is denser, but sweeter than my regular bread.
I have been looking for a white bread recipe that would make just 2 or 3 loaves, as my regular 6 loaves tend to fill up the freezer a bit much.
Thank you so much for this recipe!! We loved it!

Sherrill said...

This sounds really yummy and also like something I don't need!! I looked to see if it could be halved but looked like more work than I wanted to put in. Probably a good thing..HA! But I'll save it anyway in case I'm ever looking for something for a group!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

YUM!!!

Lisa said...

Granddad used to say "Desert was just as good after breakfast as any meal!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...