Thursday, May 28, 2020

Lately

First off, my sincerest apologies for not replying back to your recent comments on previous posts. I'm away from home and have yet to catch up.

A week ago Tuesday, my mom called and said she was having a cyst removed from her hip on Thursday. Of course she did not want me to come down, but of course I did. I drove down on Wednesday, and took her to her appointment on Thursday. Of course, they did not let me go in with her either so I sat out in the car and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was really, really, really, wishing for some of that fresh, arid, New Mexico desert air because 2 1/2 hours in 98° / 90% humidity was not fun. And yes, I know we were not there for fun. I can pray just as well in 90% humidity as well as I can in 15%. I actually got a phone call from a friend as I waited and she was sitting in the parking lot of an emergency room in another part of Texas waiting on her husband. Yes, he's fine - not my story to tell, but she and I enjoyed a good visit. She is good for the soul.

They did not remove the cyst. They drained it and took biopsies and we sat a few days and waited for results. In the meantime, I did what I could for her, things that mattered to her, and we made the first move towards getting her into an independent/ assisted living facility. She has been rattling around in a 4000 sq ft home long enough. Daddy's been gone for almost 11 years. The facility won't be open until August and then there is a 3 month window for moving, but there will be much to tackle between now and then and I'm not even sure if she'll be ready to make the move at that time. I am letting her make the decisions...up to a point. 😉 Not easy with someone who has been a strong-willed, independent, business woman for her entire life. It has been a running joke in our family that she and Daddy are not entirely sure how I could be their child.

I also got her set up with a medical alert device as she fell in her closet while I was there and although she has framily (friends that are like family) in spades, I just felt like this was a smart addition. She's so weak and I spent the week being bossy and making her eat and drink. She said everything tastes like hay and I told her to channel her inner horse. Horses LOVE hay. 😄 But maybe I'm not a good cook after all.

I am learning how to roll her hair with vintage rollers and I jokingly told told her it was time to retire the rollers:


And talk about vintage! This is the hair dryer she sits under. I felt like I had been teleported back into the 50's and I wasn't even born then. LOL


In all honesty, though, she is having to deal with enough changes right now and I am not going to ask her to make any others. I think independence is important and I want her to be able to be in control of as much as she feels comfortable with.

I had driven through Fredricksburg on my way to my mom's and I stopped to buy some of their fresh peaches from a roadside stand. It's a good year for peaches! Yum! I bought enough to share with the neighbors and one of them brought over peach cobbler that night, still warm from the oven! She's a peach! 😄 She also walks 2-3 miles every morning and I have a standing invitation to join her. When mom was settled, I took her up on her offer and enjoyed some wonderful fellowship. with this dear lady.

I know my mom is not doing well because NEVER has anyone eaten anywhere in her home except for at the table and I curled up in a chair in her bedroom the next morning and visited with her as I ate a bowl of peaches with ice cream...and I didn't get in trouble!


I am staying until biopsy results came back and I take her back to see her doctor.

And of course I took a quilt to bind while I was there


Mom and daddy have this lovely sun room and it's my favorite room in the house:


I felt badly leaving DH to fly solo in the midst of the Great Moth Invasion, but it simply could not be helped. He and Skeet are holding down the fort.

I imagine trips to Texas will become more frequent for me. I do wish we were closer, but I see changes coming down the pike. I would absolutely move my mom in with us, but she would not do well here and it's 2 1/2 hours to a decent medical facility. We only have 1 bathroom and it's not very user friendly for someone in her condition and her entire community is in Texas. My mom is very social and community is her only hobby. She doesn't read (except for the daily paper), work puzzles, garden, or sew and I don't think I can convince her to pick up quilting. 😉

So, in closing, we've been having all sorts of fun. Mom doesn't have much of a sense of humor, but I'm laughing and praying my way through this for both of us and Jesus is a constant source of strength and comfort.

20 comments:

Donna said...

I can relate to all that you are going through right now. My MIL had a stroke almost a year ago and we moved her into assisted living. I won’t go into our long story and all the ongoing challenges but I feel for you and all that is to come. It’s going to be challenging to say the least but you have the right attitude. I do this a lot and have for years and you may find this helpful too. I silently recite the Serenity Prayer whenever things get tough especially when things are not within my control. Hope your mother is doing better soon.

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, my prayers going out to you and your Mom. I pray she makes the right decisions regarding moving into a home. I also pray for a good outcome with the cyst. I LOVE her sunroom!!! Enjoy your stay.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You've got bigger fish to fry besides answering our comments. Hang in there!

Janna and Mike said...

You are a good, good daughter! We too as a family are in the same boat. My Dad has been gone almost 18 years, Mom did remarry and her second husband died March 26. She has been steadily declining, fell about three weeks ago smacking her head hard. My dear sister has been staying with Mom 24/7. Mom is improving but my sister needs a break—she still works full time (from home some) and has many other irons in the fire. . So, I have struggled with the decision of how to get to Arkansas from Montana and have finally decided to fly. In a few days I will leave my Cowboy to fend for himself to go stay with Mom for a couple weeks. I will pray for you and your Mom as you make these difficult decisions—do you have siblings?

Sherrill said...

While I'm sorry for what you're having to go through with your mom (been there but she was much closer) but you are so funny even while dealing with it. "Channel her inner horse"--HAHA!! And YOU being BOSSY?! Guess you do what you gotta do! Man, did that peach cobbler ever look good!! Hope the biopsy results are good.

Unknown said...

I have had to take my mom and husband to the Dr. Both are hard of hearing. I explained this to dr office and told them they need me to go in with them to be their ears. Both times I was allowed to go see the dr with them. you might give this a try. Good Luck

Shelljo said...

Oh Karin, you are struggling aren’t you! It’s so hard juggling parents and making those decisions and still trying to maintain that independence. I’m sure it’s hard for your Mom too! Lots of prayers for you and your Mom as you make this new transition. I’ve only had to do minimal decisions and few conversations with my folks (so far) and it’s HARD! Hang in there. I’m sure you will navigate these changes successfully, but I will keep you in my prayers.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Sounds like the time is right for this major decision. The transition for your Mom will be easier since she has some time to ponder what items she wants to keep and what to give to family members. I hope your Mom starts to feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Several years ago we had to move my mom to assisted living. Involving her in all of the decisions from which facility to move to, to deciding when to sell her house and her car helped with the transition. We were fortunate to be able to get a one bedroom apartment that actually had the same amount of space she was using in her house. We kept the house for about 5 months because I live close enough to take her “home” about once a week. With every visit the time she wanted to stay there got shorter until she decided it was time to sell her house. We kept her car and I used it to drive her the places she wanted or needed to go until she decided it needed to be sold as well. She did on more than one occasion tell me I was “acting like the Mother.” I did not mention to her that that was because she was acting like 5he child! Good luck in finding the perfect place for your Mom. You both will be in my prayers as you make this transition.

Janet O. said...

Tough times, Karin. I can relate to so much you say here. May you find the peace and strength you need from the true source of both.

Shepherdess55 said...

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers that the biopsy results are good news as well as making wise decisions for your mother's future.

sandi s said...

Hi, I’m so glad that you can be there for your mom. I’m sure it can be hard at times. My mom has been gone many years and I still miss her. Hugs,

pbrenner said...

Saying prayers for your mom that she makes the transition relatively easily. It wasn't a good year for bluebonnets, but it is a fantastic year for peaches! (I'm about 40 minutes from Fredericksburg) Warm peach cobbler with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream is heavenly! Stay safe on your travels!

Carol in Texas said...

Bless your heart! We brought my mother to spend the last month's of her life with us, and she was miserable. If I knew then.......I would just have let her stay at home and make more drives to Houston. I am in my eighties now, and both my husband and I hope to die at home. What shades does your mom have in the sun room? We need some in ours and cannot make a decision! That is a beautiful room.....no wonder why you love it!


I had a hair dryer just like that! Does that bring back memories! Carol. In Texas

Ranch Mom said...

I'll be praying for you and your Mom Karin. We are currently in the same time of life you're in with your Mom. Thanks for sharing!

Janina said...

Best of luck to all of you. This is a really hard time of life as you get older. I only hope l can remember what it was like dealing with parents and in-laws...and just be nice!!! 😘

Chantal said...

During a life time, some pathways are harder to walk than others. Blessings to you and your parents. ;^)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Aging parents, I could write a book. Patience, patience and more patience. While challenging to care for them, it's ever hardener to let them go.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, your Mom and your hubby & Skeet.
Those peaches sound delicious!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You are a good good daughter - and I love the new memories you are making with your mom - hugs my friend!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...