Saturday, May 9, 2020

Menu Planning

Next week we'll be branding the beef calves...tis the season.

                               

I'll have a crew Tuesday through Saturday. 10-12 men for breakfast and dinner. DH chuckles at how long it takes me to prep for a week like this.


After all these years, I have favorite menus I fall back on, but I always like to throw in a few new recipes to mix things up a bit. It still takes a while to make the menu, assess what I have in stock, compile my list, actually make the grocery run, drag it all back home, and find a place to stash it all. I'm still going to use paper plates and disposable silverware and glasses to minimize contact so that will spoil me again. It feels wasteful to me, but I think it's the wisest choice. I think all of us are ready to be done with this Covid-19 virus.

I spent quite a bit more time pulling everything together this time around as some items are still not in stock. That meant 2 trips to multiple stores 2 weeks in a row. Thankfully, I was stocked up on things like flour and yeast, but I won't be after we finish branding. My boys do love their bread. DH went through a sourdough period and we kept a starter, but since it's just the 2 of us and we don't eat much bread anymore, we no longer keep one. So I will use my precious stash of yeast because I have to take care of my boys. 😉

The hardest part for me will be those 2:30 a.m. wake up calls. I am mentally preparing myself and channeling the Little Engine that Could...I think I can...I think I can...I think I can.


I've always been grateful for a freezer full of ranch raised beef, but I am especially thankful now as the stores are limiting meat purchases to 1 package per customer and it's hard to feed 12 cowboys on a pound of ground beef. I'm not complaining because if that were the case, we'd make due. No one will go hungry next week. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the kitchen and yes, if I find any new treasures, I'll share. 😉

                           

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a challenge you have!
Wish I was close enough to bring you one of the multiple bulk packages of yeast in my freezer. I have always kept it on hand like that because I used to bake yeast breads, rolls and breadsticks constantly. Old habits die hard, and I rarely make gluten free yeast breads--they aren't much to write home about. But the yeast is still there--because it always has been and I don't know how to not have it on hand. LOL
Good luck with your cookin'!

Donna said...

I can smell the fresh bread now! Don’t envy you with the early mornings and all the cooking but I look forward to seeing your posts, if you have time that is!!!

Janna and Mike said...

Holey, moley! I will stop complaining about cooking every meal my Cowboy and I eat!!! Wishing you strength and stamina for the coming week! And like you, I'm done with this Covid business!

Janna and Mike said...

I would love to send you some yeast??

Chantal said...

No matter what Covid throws at us, life still goes on and somethings can't be changed. People need feedings and animals need branding. I don't envy you but I would like to go and help for a few weeks. Just for kicks. :^D
I'm trying to feed 4 men on one package of beef restriction. Lucky you for having a freezer.
Whenever you have a chance in your busy schedule, you might want to have a look here.
https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.com/2020/05/in-fine-pickle.html
I'm showing off. I'm so happy! thank you.
;^)

Sherrill said...

Oh no... 2:30!! YIKES! Hope you get a nice long vacay after that. Any idea how many need to be branded? I was done with the virus before it even started! :-(

qypsyquilterdesigns said...

It sounds as if your grocery store, like ours, is still low on some stock. King Arthur Flour.com is another place to purchase yeast and bread supplies on-line. I sure hope all of those extra workers will appreciate your hard work and home cooking.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whoa! 2:30 am ... I haven't seen that in a while!! I love the planning tho - its so weird with certain items out of stock right? Glad you were able to find what you needed.... those boys are lucky to have you to feed them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...