Friday, August 27, 2021

New Jelly Roll Project

 I've brought home a lot of Jelly Rolls through the years. 

Jelly Roll Admission

I don't buy them anymore and have been working on releasing them and turning them into quilts. Last week I ran across some 2x4 quilts online and that led me to this tutorial:

2x4 Quilt Tutorial from Film in the Fridge

It uses fat quarters, but I was determined to use a couple of Jelly Rolls. I've had these 2 Posh Pumpkin Jelly Rolls since 2013 and suddenly I felt they just needed to become a 2x4 quilt.

And then on the very first cut, I made a mistake. I made a cut at 3 1/2" instead of 4". Sigh. But that ended up being a good mistake because it allowed me to make 3 blocks from 2 strips instead of only 2. If you make one though, beware that there are literally NO scraps so cut carefully:

I pulled a few coordinating pieces from my stash for some of the blocks because I like the options better:

And the blocks came together quickly. Long-stashed jelly rolls and a tutorial that's been around a while made for lots of fun, mindless sewing which I must have needed because I loved every minute:

I threw a few blocks out on the bed and I like the way this is coming together. Nothing fancy. Just a beginning of a good, Autumn snuggle quilt. 


It crossed my mind that a design wall might come in handy, but I think I'll just live dangerously. 😉

10 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your blocks look very pretty, the colors are wonderful. Happy stitching!

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, your quilt is looking good. Nice Fall colors. And having fun is most important :) Glad you're getting in some sewing time.

Rebecca said...

While I have a design wall in my sewing room I find I really prefer my "design bed" for the final layout...
Something about the final perspective of the blocks laying on the bed....

Theona said...

Your cutting mat almost looks like mine before I replaced it. I had more worn out areas than I could work with.

It's a good feeling to free up fabric languishing in the stash. :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Cute!!!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Good for you! I need to find a sight for charm packs because I have many in my stash which needs to be used

sandi s said...

It’s looking great!! I’m always looking at things todo with jelly rolls, something simple right now. I can’t seem to concentrate on anything to complicated. I’m going to look at the tutorial. Thank you. Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for sharing this Karin. I love this quilt and the fabrics are beautiful. Enjoy both your cooking/baking and quilt posts and the ranch is so much fun to follow for this city girl.

Christine G in London, Ontario

Kara Kwilts said...

I really do like the 8 patch block. It is really nice to have most of the cutting done by a jelly roll :).
How is your son doing with all that is going on in Afghanistan? My son is currently stationed in Japan and has reenlisted for another term (I pray he makes it to retirement safely). Marines, they are one tough breed, eh?
Have a great sewing week!
Kara

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Karin. You are so talented! I'm thinking about wrapping up in a nice cozy blanket now that I'm home in WA. It's 49° here at night....burrrr🥰

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...