Thursday, March 7, 2024

Catching Up

 I'm sorry - I didn't mean to disappear again. I've had some kind readers contact me as they were concerned that we were in the path of the Texas fires, thus, I hadn't posted. I am touched by your thoughtfulness - thank you! But we are well and the fires are not close to us. We are close to the Texas border, but in New Mexico. However, we know many of the folks in the Panhandle and it's simply heartbreaking to watch the loss of life, livestock, and livelihood. And on the other side, it's amazing to see the agricultural community pull together, once more, to support those affected. Lots of prayers have been, and continue to be, sent for the safety of the firemen and first responders on the ground. So many stories of folks coordinating to send supplies where they will best be utilized. The magnitude of this (over a million acres, thus far) is yet to be realized as the fires are still actively burning, but the impact will undoubtedly, last for years.

The farms and ranches can't just buy more cattle when their entire feed supply of grass and crops have been burned, not to mention the infostructure of housing, shops, barns, and fencing...SO MUCH fencing. We're talking thousands of miles of fence. At $10,000 per mile to replace. And it's not insured. This is cattle country and the loss of livestock is still being tallied, but the Ag Commissioner is estimating that 10,000 hd will be lost (we think that is a conservative estimate) and they received a call that one area lost 8oo horses. 

People from all over are coordinating to donate, load, and truck hay and feed to surviving livestock. I don't get on FB, but this is an organization on FB  that is coordinating donations for the relief effort.

Ranchers Navy

Thank you again for checking in with us. We're well. Just praying a lot as we go about our days; thinking of those who are in the line of, working to extinguish, and beginning to deal with the aftermath of the fire.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...DH got to fly over the ranch for predator control one day

I was so surprised that the cows walked up this close. I know they are gentle, and curious, but I wasn't expecting them to  practically sniff the helicopter as they've never seen one  before.

We fixed another leak on the North side. 

Such a pretty morning, but that was a lot of shoveling and DH had already dug up the leak a few days earlier. We just had to wait for it to dry up enough to dig some more, install new pipe, 

                                                          

and shovel the dirt back. This is known as the ranch wife workout. 😂


One day we left the house at 3:30 a.m. and drove 3 1/2 hours to Canyon, Texas to have a flatbed installed. 

We got back at dark, tended to chores, and unloaded the bed the next morning

One day we hiked around some mountain property


Another beautiful day. DH and I both love to hike around in the mountains, but I had lunch with a friend  the other day and told her that although we both enjoy hiking, DH is a mountain goat hiker 

                                                

while I am a photography hiker 

                                

so I'm always rushing to catch up to him, hoping I don't twist an ankle because it's a long hike back to the truck. LOL. After working up an appetite, we treated ourselves to the best burger on the planet!

And it just warms my heart that so many of you are asking about Skeet - he's as loveable and charming as ever and always close at hand

He doesn't miss anything - if we're headed out to work on something - he's on the job, making sure he's not left behind

He gets extra excited when I head out to grill. If he's in the house and sees me reach for the lighter, he wiggles himself into a tizzy and he will lay close to the grill the entire time it is on. The good Lord gave this little pup an extra dose of personality and he brings us so much joy


So I think that just about catches you up. It's dark, which means it's past my bedtime so I had better call it a day. I'll try and post again soon. Afterall, it's baby season around here!



4 comments:

RuthW in MD said...

I enjoyed reading all about your life and times. Photography hiker! Hadn't heard that one before, but of course it's much more pleasant to bring back beautiful views than traverse a pile of rocks. Love the "babies" at the end!

Donna said...

Glad you and DH are not in the path of the wildfires. It is so sad all the damage and destruction. You two work so hard. I don’t know how you do it all. Good to see Skeet. He is such a cutie and reminds me so much of my childhood dog, Shorty. I hope you get some quilting time soon.

Sue Swank said...

What a busy life you have. I think I would just love that dog. I already love most dogs, but he sounds extra special.

Joy in NW Iowa said...

The fires are so devastating! So hard for all those people, livestock businesses! Just to name a few! I was reading your post to hubby and we were both amazed at the cost of new fence! Yikes! Here in Iowa, it’s corn and soybeans on the farms. There are feedlots, but on a crop farm we take out the old fences! My husband has pulled out so much old wire and I did help him! I remember because I would bump my head in the loader of the tractor pulling up wire! Ugh! Farm life isn’t for sissies!
We all love Skeet! I love animals … period! But, especially dogs and cats! I miss my Aussie so much even after 10 years! But, finally, ir is easier without a house pet!
Take care and keep us posted when it works!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...