Friday, March 22, 2024

C is for Cookie

 I bake a lot of cookies. They're so portable and it's easy for DH to grab a few when he walks in to fill his coffee tumbler before heading back out to fix fence, or check waters, or feed cows, or gather a pasture. When the chiddlers were still home, they would often wander in from their dirt road capers, barn expeditions, and pasture explorations in need of portable edibles in order to continue their adventures because one simply cannot capture cattle rustlers, navigate a pirate ship across the desert, or conquer the world on an empty stomach. Cookies played an important part in fueling their childhood between meals.

I shared in an earlier post that it also seems a lot of people end up at the end of our dirt road.  County road maintainers, UPS and Fed-ex drivers, brand inspectors, cow buyers, neighboring ranchers, vets, feed and hay delivery drivers, propane and fuel delivery men, the crew when we work and people who are lost or who DH rescues when they have tire trouble on the side of the road and a baggy of cookies is my way wishing them a nice day. It didn't start out that way, but it has taken on a life of it's own. It's gone from DH telling me, "You don't have to do that", to "Hey, I noticed the county parked their equipment at the end of the road..." ie: I bet they'd appreciate cookies. 😉

Through the years, I've shared a lot of them here and I thought it may be helpful to write a post with links to all the cookie recipes we love that I've posted through the years. I'll update this post as I share more because yes, there are more. 😊

 1.Cowboy Cookies  (these are kind of my signature cookie and the first one I shared way back in 2007)


2. Gingersnaps


3. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


4. Special K Cookies

5. Lemon Cowboy Cookies


9. Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies

10. M & M Cookies


11. Loaded Butterscotch Toffee Pecan Cookies


12. Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies


13. Texas Ranger Cookies


14. Gingerbread Cowboys

15. Oatmeal Scotchies


16. Snickerdoodles


17. Dirt Road Granola Bars


P.S. We like a cookie with a tender crunch. Is that a contradiction in terms? We like a little crunch when we bite into it, but then it's got a tender texture after the crunch. So your baking time will depend on how soft or crunchy you like your cookie. I just keep an eye on them. Ovens vary so much so you'll just have to experiment to get the right consistency. I've baked so many cookies over the years that I don't pay much attention to the minutes in the oven and I just take them out when they look right. DH usually tells me they're not done enough and I still try to convince him that they will be just right once they cool off, but a warm cookie is pretty hard to resist.

I've often had requests for printing capabilities and I'm sorry - I don't know how to add that. This is just a simple little blog written by a non-tech ranch wife. I do like that option though as I use it when I discover new recipes online. On the sunny side - there are no ads and I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm simply trying to spread the cookie love. 😉

10 comments:

julieQ said...

I really adore this post...something about a warm cookie that just says love!!! Thank you for sharing your favorites!!

Donna said...

Thanks for the cookie recipes. I can smell them! I love the story about the cowboy cookies getting eaten before your son had one cookie! Sprouts Carrot Cake recipe that I got from your blog is the absolute best! I bet the delivery drivers and workers on your road crews love getting the cookies!

Joy said...

Your recipes made my mouth water. I bake a lot of cookies too, primarily for family, and I am going to add some of your recipes to my collection. Thanks!

Chris said...

I love the story about how the Cowboy Cookies got their name.
Printing is easy. Just highlight the text and right clip the mouse and find the print option. Don't forget to add where the recipe came from.
We too have had countless, countless people sleep over in our old farmhouse. And, yes, Jesus does send them all.
blessings from Canada

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love the post and your cookie files--and thank you for always thing of others and sharing your cookies--
I used to bake alot and I miss having a cookie jar with homemade cookies in it--but now as a senior --well--my times goes for quilting and knitting now--but I just might have to make me a batch of old fashioned chocolate chip cookies one of these days real soon--
hugs, diane

Martha Michael said...

My DIL told me once about the app recipe box. When you see a recipe you like you can send it to the app. Sometimes you have to go to the recipes browser site. There are categories to put the recipe in. I created a folder just for this blogs recipes.

Robin said...

I made your Cowboy Cookies tonight. I used dark brown sugar and wouldn't do that again because I couldn't tell when they were done. I used Desiccated Coconut because that's all I had. I'm sure they would be much more moist with regular coconut. They are very tasty (for as long as they last). I will be making them again.

Cheryl said...

Love your cookie recipes! Your blog is my go to place when I am wanting to try something new. Thanks so much.

Cheryl in Iowa....well, heading back to Iowa soon.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, wonderful idea, maybe I'll be sending friends away with cookie bags - once I get the hang of making them! They all sound scrummie and I'm sure if I can't find a an easy way to print - I can still remember how to write...love, Elaine in UK

Anonymous said...

I’ve been making your Cowboy cookies for many years. They are always a big hit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...