Friday, March 15, 2024

New Project

 Did I need a new project? Of course not! But last week as I spent some time in my sewing room, sorting and putting away piles, I ran across yardage of this fabric. It's called Indian Summer.


I bought it back in 2015 at our local quilt shop. I made a quilt with it that I shared here: Indian Summer . I still love this print today as much as I did when I first saw it. I still had over 3 yards of it and when I picked it up last week,  I thought, "I want to sew with this right now." and yes, I should have been tending to other things, but I was in the mood for some mindless sewing and I thought about a St. Louis 16-patch. I started pulling coordinating fabrics and cutting immediately and sewed whenever I could sneak in a few stitches


It's probably going to look checkerboard -y since I'm using that floral in every block, but I want this quilt to be about that fabric.  I've made 12 blocks.


Then, for some reason I thought about scattering a few stars across it using this design


But this makes a 10 1/2" block and I needed an 8 1/2" one so I did a little math and made a block


The block turned out just a hair too small and the background was too stark for the look I was after so I rummaged around some more and uncovered a handful of leftover squares that were deleted from a previous project


OK...smaller star, like the first one, but I like this background


I still wish I had a whole bolt of that print. I'll even admit to having looked online for more. 😂I'm not sure how many blocks I'll make, but they are coming together and I think I like where this is going


7 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The fabric is beautiful! I like where you're going with your blocks, happy stitching!

Donna said...

Another pretty quilt! Sometimes the best quilts are the simple patchwork quilts. How big are you making this one?

Chantal said...

Oh! I love where this fabric is taking you. This one will be so lovely. If the star block is too small, add a quarter or half an inch to the exterior pieces. For the background piece with the star points: if it measures 3X3", make it 3X3.25". Make sure you sew the points on the 3" side, leaving the 3.25 to be sewn with the next unit, the corner square. It too will have to be changed to 3.25 X 3.25". The square in the middle will stay at 3X3". After pressing, you can trim the block to the correct 8.5" Gosh! I hope this makes sense to you. Or email me and I'll explain it better. Enjoy! ;^)

Kara Kwilts said...

I love that flowered material too. I love the way the quilt is coming. I really love the peachy pink with the sagey green and cornflower blue and mustardy yellow. :) Stars are my go to favorite block to make. This quilt checks all of the boxes. Just love it. Have a GREAT day!!! Kara

Anonymous said...

Do you have pattern Pony Tales?

cityquilter grace said...

easy to see why this fabric was irresistible....i couldn't pass it by either....lovely blocks so far

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

its perfect!! and its springy - and just in time for bright days!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...