Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Fresh Broccoli Salad

4 or 5  years ago, a lady brought this to our annual safari club summer picnic and we loved it. She said she's expected to bring it to every gathering. She was sweet enough to share it with me and it became an instant family favorite. The ingredients seems a little odd, but somehow, it all works and it's a nice change of pace in a summer salad lineup. I was craving it last week, but it was just the 2 of us so I made a smaller batch. 


Broccoli Salad

1 1/2# Broccoli crowns, cut into bite sized pieces
8 pieces bacon, cooked and diced
1/8 C Sunflower Seeds
1/2 C grated Cheddar Cheese
1/4 C Dried Cranberries
1/4 C Red Onion, diced small

Dressing:
1 C Mayo
1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 C Sugar (I probably use 1/2 of that)
Pepper

We grill a lot out here and it's not just a summer thing for us. I grill year round, but since it's been over 100° here, I've been grilling or smoking something every day. I served this salad with grilled pork chops I marinated overnight, grilled corn-on-the-cob, and the first garden tomatoes of the season.


5 comments:

julieQ said...

I make this salad, too...I add cabbage. It s so delicous!

Anonymous said...

Do you blanched the broccoli?

Dirt Road Quilter said...

No blanching needed! 🤗

pbrenner said...

I make a very similar broccoli salad (it may be the exact same, I'm too lazy to go look up my recipe, lol). It is delicious! I love the coolness of it in the summer, but enjoy it year round. My husband likes to add a shake or two of tabasco to add a little heat to the sweetness. I hope y'all are getting rain this summer - the monsoon started a little early in Arizona this year; the rule of thumb used to be that the first rains would come around July 4, but we've had some decent spotty showers starting a couple of weeks ago.

Sherrill said...

My tomatoes have been VERY uncooperative this year so I pulled some out and started new and cut a few back to see what they'll do. SO hot, no rain..probably like your weather? I got 5 ears of corn for $1 at Winco and ate one tonight. It was so good!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...