Tuesday, June 14, 2022

The Melting Pot

Literally:


Welcome to the melting pot. Not fun. The older I get, the more I struggle with intense heat like this. We're 25 miles from town and we're generally a few degrees hotter. We're praying for rain, but I can't recall ever NOT praying for rain.

My poor chickens are panting

We eat a watermelon a week around here and I stash the rind in the deep freeze for them for a treat:

 and I spray down their yard under a big tree to give them a cool place every day.  We've had several days of this

40-60 mph sustained winds that turn our usually brilliant blue skies, dirt brown. So in between the wind, and before the heat descends, I've been beginning my days like this


I've been moving hoses and sprinklers in an attempt to keep trees and grass and the garden alive and mowing at 6 a.m. 

I've been harvesting Zucchini, lots of radishes  - I'm afraid I'm going to have to replant much of the the garden

                                           

I've been graced with the first Cosmos of the season

The Crepe Myrtle is blooming up a storm although it looks a tad forlorn after another round of brutal wind

And the Willow is showing off some pretty pink flowers

We've had a plague of Tarantula Wasps take up residence in the yard, searching for the damp, cool places

I would love a wildflower garden, but it's a challenge to grow anything out here, thus, every single bloom brings me great joy

As does my trusty sidekick!

                                    

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow--I don't know how you do it! I struggle when we get into the 90s, and when it gets to the 100s, I stay indoors! The wind looks really fierce, stirring up all that dust. Will join you in your prayers for rain.

julieQ said...

I too love those pops of color in flowers! It truly feels like being under a blow dryer outside...just too, too hot!

Donna said...

I will stop complaining about the high 90's here! Your flowers sure are looking good!

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh, it's been hot here but nothing like where you are. I think you're garden is producing better than mine! I got a GIGANTIC zucchini that I gave to my niece to dehydrate and powder it. Got a few more yellow squash and some pitiful tomatoes. Cukes have grown but no production yet. The desert willow is perfect there and I know those chicks appreciate all you do for them. That Skeet...so cute.

Joy in NW Iowa said...

Your poor animals! It’s amazing you are able to grow veggies. We have had heat and humidity. Ugh! It’s funny, I love Florida in January and February when it’s about 80 and somewhat humid but I sure don’t like humidity at 96 degrees! I feel like your chickens!
I stay in the AC and sew. Love your blog and want to order one of your friends books.

Janna and Mike said...

I don't know how you do it! When I married my Montana cowboy 27 years ago we didn't need air conditioning in our house, we would have a few hot days in the summer but most of the time summers were pleasant. Last summer we installed mini-split air conditioners in our house--we had a miserable June and it just got worse. But on the other hand, I can't grow a garden--I could grow some root crops if I chose but I've tried and tried with no success--our nights can be very cool and there is always that unexpected cold front that blows through. I will pray with you for rain.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What pretty flowers
I am coming to have a love/hate relationship with wind - I want the *breeze* to keep us from sweating, but the wind.... No Bueno!!!
Hope the rain comes soon for you

Nancy said...

We hit the 70’s a couple of weeks ago for the first time this year. We haven’t been that warm again. We were suppose to hit that today but I think we are only to got to 68 today. We have had so much rain this spring. Our rivers crested flood stage yesterday and our flood warning ends tonight at 9pm. I really really wish we could send you some of this water. Your garden is to dry and ours is to wet and the ground is not warm enough for the plants to grow. We had to replant the garden when the first round rotted in the ground. .

Violet said...

I commiserate with you. It will be in the 90's-100's here (Fort Walton Beach, Florida) next week. When you factor in the heat index due to the high humidity, it "feels like" it's 6-7 degrees higher. Most folks hibernate in the winter-I hibernate in the summer! I am very grateful for a working AC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...