Monday, June 27, 2022

Scrap Dance Waltz

 Today I'm sharing another UFO that's been hanging around for a while. In 2016, I stumbled upon a quilt along over at My Carolina Home and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to use some of my 30's fabrics and I paired them with Kona Snow. Heaven knows I've got a healthy stash of 30's! I wonder how many quilts I need to make before the bin will close. LOL.

Well I gave it the old college try with this quilt. The blocks were such fun to make:

I can't believe it's taken me 6 years to finish this quilt. I made 81 blocks and finally finished the top in 2018. It's impossible to be grumpy when sewing with these happy fabrics

I was so delighted when I started laying the blocks out that I'm pretty sure I stood back and clapped my hands. LOL. 

Carole, you knocked it out of the park with this design! 

                                                 

I backed it with one of Lori Holt's wide prints 

and pulled an orange from my stash for the binding. I rarely use orange, but it worked well with both the front and the back although with a scrappy quilt, anything goes.

Jackie laughed when I dropped it off because I told her I had enough big quilts, and this one is 92 x 92. She quilted it with another perfect design called Chantilly Lace in a white thread:

As I was stitching on the binding, I realized what happy fabrics these are. I haven't made a quilt with these fabrics since and I think it's time to make more quilts with them. My bin does close now, but there's nary room for a 2 1/2" square.

But as for now, I get to enjoy this one! I love the movement the combination of blocks creates throughout the quilt:

I checked Carole's blog and it looks like the Quilt-along posts are no longer available, but she has converted the Scrap Dance Series to patterns and Scrap Dance Waltz is available here:

Scrap Dance Waltz Pattern

It feels good to be celebrating another happy, finished quilt

                                    

10 comments:

Janet O. said...

It is a stunning design! Well done.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is a lovely quilt! I downloaded the Scrap Dance info when Carole was hosting the sew along, just never mad anything.

Enjoy your quilt, she's a beauty! Happy stitching!

Louise SS said...

I have been wondering what to do with my 30-s. Just found it! Thanks! 🤗
Your quilt is wonderful!

Tired Teacher said...

Gorgeous!

Shirley said...

Oh wow, this quilt is gorgeous. A quilt made of 1930 fabrics is the best medicine for grey days.

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this gorgeous finish! You can finally enjoy all those lovely, happy little pieces of fabric. I love it. ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Congrats on the amazing finish!
and!! I notice you have some green around your photo shoot ( yay!!!)

Heather said...

Stunning!

pbrenner said...

What a happy quilt - I love scrappy and that pattern is perfect for the 30's fabrics. I started following Carole last year, but apparently I need to go review all her posts from before I started following to see what other beauties I've missed :-)

Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com said...

Love it. encourages me to get back to my UFO of 30's fabrics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...