Thursday, June 2, 2022

Cooking For the Crew

 We branded on Tuesday so I fell into bed at 9:30 Monday night and set my alarm for 2:30. 😲 I know most everyone loves the longer days, but this old body is plumb tuckered out with longer days and shorter nights. 

Breakfast for 8 men was at 4 and they jingled in at 10:30 for dinner. And as much as I love taking pictures of the crew when they brand, the pens are almost an hour from the house and there was not a moment to spare between breakfast and dinner. It was forecasted to be 99°  and we try to work cattle before the heat sets in. I fixed biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, and fruit for breakfast and then washed all the dishes (remember - no dishwasher in this old ranch house, but I don't have to haul water from the creek or chop wood. 😉), cleaned the kitchen and set about making a mess again:

Chicken Fried Steak, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, and State Fair Yeast Biscuits with Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert for dessert. I don't make Chicken Fried Steak very often. It makes a HUGE mess, but a few years ago, a sweet lady that used to live at North Camp with her husband shared her secrets for the best chicken fried steak ever and I knew it would make for a very happy crew. I don't even know if I can really share it with you, because it's more of a method than a recipe, but I'll see what it looks like in writing and if it makes sense, I'll post it. 

Then, once everyone shuffled back out the door for a second time, I was blessed with another mountain of dishes and a kitchen that needed cleaning. And yes, I do mean blessed. I'm so grateful that DH has a good crew to help during branding and that I can put a decent meal on the table. And the bonus blessing is that there are leftovers. Grin.

Just after the crew left, the air-conditioner repair fella showed up. Our air-conditioner has been acting up periodically so they made a trip out to diagnose the problem. Looks like the expansion valve isn't functioning properly so if it continues to freeze up, they'll come back and replace it.

He got the last 6 cookies in the deep freeze and the brand inspector was coming out later in the afternoon to inspect some cattle we were taking to the sale barn in Clovis on Wednesday. We've known Justin for years - he was a part of a very fun branding crew for a few years about 15 years ago. So, I was back in the kitchen again. M&M Cookies for him this time, plus a few for my cookie stash

I cooked for the boys again today - 10 this time. Nothing new to share. Breakfast Pizza, bacon, biscuits, fruit, and Honey Bun Cake at 4 for breakfast. Brisket, Hot Links, Cole Slaw, Rancher's Potatoes, Soft & Fluffy One Hour Rolls, and Jalapeno Poppers with Cherry Cheesecake Lush for dessert. 

Oh, wait - I searched my blog and can't find the recipe for Ranchers Potatoes and it is definitely worth sharing so stay tuned! And Cole Slaw is just Cole Slaw, but we kind of like it so I'll share that one too. Hmmm...can't find a post for Breakfast Pizza either. Nothing fancy, but something I make a lot when I've got extras. OK...shake out your aprons!

7 comments:

RuthW in MD said...

Of course you can share a recipe-method for chicken fried steak!! I tried to cook some once and it was extremely difficult, and did not turn out well. I look forward to reading your recipe! Thank you in advance!

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, glad to see you are enjoying your kitchen time, even if it is at o'dark thirty :) Thanks for sharing your recipes with us. Have a great day.

Janna and Mike said...

Please share all those recipes! I saved the M&M cookie one--I too seldom use shortening but I have a recipe for gingersnaps that uses only shortening and those cookies are so good. I had the bright idea to substitute butter ONCE--that was a mistake--the cookies were inedible!

Anonymous said...

Chicken fried steak is not really a tradition around here so I was keen to try some when we were in Wyoming some years ago. Big disappointment, I clearly was not at the right restaurants and my travel companions got tired of my project pretty quickly (or maybe just tired of my complaints). I looked for it on a more recent Nebraska and South Dakota trip with no luck.

SO your method will make interesting reading if nothing else. Your "long days" exhaust me even reading about them - you have such stamina!

Ceci

ytsmom said...

Can't wait for the CFS recipe. That is something we enjoy frequently when out, but like you said, it really makes a mess. Have you made the Ice Cream Sandwich Cherry dessert? Pretty much just the ice cream sandwiches, cherry pie filling and cool whip. I saved the biscuit recipe and look forward to trying it. Thanks for posting, I enjoy each one!

Sherrill said...

EXHAUSTED!!! That's how I felt after reading your post..WHEW!! Don't know how you do it but sure sounds like you do it SO good! How's little Oliver?

Carol in Texas said...

Please share your chicken fried steak method. It is my husband’s favorite food and I never make it because it is such a mess, plus I. hate to fry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...